October 28, 2018 | Genesis: Act II
A Tested Faith
This week, Pastor David concluded the “Genesis: Act II” series with the story of God testing Abraham. Reread Genesis 22 as you consider these questions.
- What is that “one thing” you think it would be impossible to give up? How do you think you would respond if God asked you to let it go?
- Of tests, Pastor David said, ”some are subtle but some knock down the back door and don’t ask for permission to enter”. Describe a time/event in your life when you and/or your faith were tested. What was your response?
- When God asked Abraham to sacrifice Issac, He didn’t tell him the WHY or the WHERE of the test he was facing. What did Abraham lean on when he didn’t have the details?
- Pastor David described the Gospel in this passage, not as a “sliver of enlightenment” but as an “earth shattering reality”. Just as God provided a substitute for Isaac, He has provided Christ as YOUR substitute. Have you accepted that gift? If not, what are you waiting for?
In your time with God this week,
- Thank God for providing the ram as a substitute for Isaac and for providing Christ as YOUR substitute.
- Ask God to help you be willing to TRULY SURRENDER ALL. Ask Him to show you the places in your life where you have added “footnotes” to your requests/surrender.
- Commit to fully surrender your time, energy, and possessions to God as you choose faith in Him instead of fear.