How Can Serve in Missions this Fall?
For detailed information on how to get started, contact Ben Hale at email@example.com.
This list includes 25 churches/ministries/missionaries that are in need of various kinds of support this fall. Each of them is unique and offer multiple ways for Life Groups to partner with them. Mission partnerships & projects are a great way for Life Groups to experience great fellowship and also minister beyond the walls of our church buildings. Life Groups can touch the hearts and lives of people with the love of Christ and at the same time build unity among their members. Included in this list are 13 church partners. The pastors of these mission churches and their families would benefit greatly from encouragement and prayer support from a Dawson Life Group. Life Group projects can be done in a day or through ongoing relationships that lasts for months. Consider how your Life Group wants to serve by asking, “When the project is over, what do we hope to have accomplished in the lives of the people we will serve?”
- Do you want to use the project as a means to help a missionary or ministry leader accomplish their ministry goals?
- Do you want you want use the project as a way to teach team members to share their faith or provide for physical needs?
- Do you want to want to focus on a particular need such as those most impacted by the current COVID situation?
- Do you want to use the project as a way to give your group members an understanding of the Biblical basis of missions and a burden for the lost?
Kids Connection – Kids Connection will open its doors on September 14, 2020. We need individuals and groups to serve in a variety of ways. We will open slowly and eventually build both our volunteer and client base back up to pre-COVID levels. Even with a modified schedule, Life Group opportunities abound at Kids Connection! Here is a summary of the modifications that have been made:
- Open one day a week for retail and one day for donation processing
- No donations at the Kids Connection location…only at Dawson’s north parking lot into the Kids Connection van.
- This fall only toys and winter clothing will be accepted as donations. (Nothing Else)
- New shopping and sanitizing procedures will be implemented
The Learning Center - The Learning Center will open their fall semester on September 1, 2020. An expected enrollment of 30 students will begin their fall semester in a facility that has 16 new computers in socially distanced classrooms. The Center will be open three days a week for this fall semester. Volunteers are needed for both individual and group teaching/tutoring that will be offered both virtually and in person. Individuals are needed to serve as host and greeters at the front door each day. Life Groups are needed to enhance the student’s learning environment by providing meals during the school day.
Operation Christmas Child – On Sunday, November 15th Dawson will gather hundreds of shoeboxes that will be distributed around the world by Samaritan’s Purse. Individuals and Life Groups can help prepare and gather the boxes.
Christmas for A Foster Child – Dawson Life Groups provide Christmas gifts for 100 foster children each year that are connected to Alabama Baptist Children’s Home and Gateway.
Missionary Houses – Dawson owns and operates two homes for international missionary families that are in the U.S. on stateside assignments. Due to the COVID crisis, both of the houses have been occupied for many months by families that were forced to return to the states. Volunteers are needed for a variety of tasks that include welcoming the families, providing groceries and helping them get to know the Homewood community. Life Groups can also assist with the physical cleaning of each of the homes when there is transition.
Alabama Black Belt Mission Trips - These one-day project is a great opportunity for parents to work alongside their children. Life Groups can serve together and bring their kids along. The teams provide medical care, clothes, food and recreation.
Family Mission Projects – Dawson’s Mission staff will work with your Life Group to design a project for you group to do together.
Metro Changers is a ministry that provides building materials for volunteer groups to renovate homes in Birmingham. Your group can paint a house, build a handicap ramp, or build a deck. This is a very low effective mission project. Construction materials are provided at no cost to your church by Metro Changers.
Missionary Prayer and Family Support - Dawson currently has seven members serving full-time on the international mission field. Life Groups are needed to adopt each of these missionaries to encourage and pray for them in an intentional way. Often these missionaries gradually lose contact their home church as their length of service grows. We have members in the Southeast Asia, Asia, Central Asia and the Middle East. For more information contact Ben Hale at firstname.lastname@example.org
Other Birmingham Ministries to Consider:
- Christian Service Mission
- Sav-A Life
- LifeLine Children’s Services
Dawson Partner Churches:
- Community of Faith Hispanic Church – Fultondale – In 2017 Dawson’s Hispanic congregation was commissioned to plant a second-generation Hispanic church in Northern Jefferson County. On September 9th, 2018 the new church, Community of Faith, held its first worship service. The church plant currently meets at Fultondale First Baptist Church. Volunteers are needed to serve on the worship, children and student leadership teams. Joshua del Risco is the pastor.
- Greater St. John Baptist Church – Birmingham – Greater St. John is one of our partner churches in Go Love Tell 2021 – 2025. We started working with them on their food pantry during COVID 19. We are also helping with construction on their education building and will partner to support their community ministries. Dr. Nathaniel Brooks is the pastor.
- Summit Church – Scarborough, Maine – In 2020 we started a five-year partnership with Summit Church. The Chapel Choir went there on tour in 2017 and we have had other mission teams go there. Summit is also one of our Go Love Tell 2021 – 2025 partners and we will support them in their planting of a new church. Travis Bush is the pastor.
- Living Rock Church – Timnath, Colorado – Living Rock Church was planted in 2015 and since then they have planted three other churches. They are a Go Love Tell 2021 – 2025 partner and we are now providing monthly financial support to them and we will also provide support for their next church plant in 2021. Kelly Parrish is the pastor.
- Grandview Church – Mead, Colorado – Grandview was planted in April 2017 by Living Rock. They are a Go Love Tell 2021 – 2025 partner and we are now providing monthly support to them. Bruce Hendrich is pastor.
- Keystone Church – Loveland, Colorado – Keystone was planted in January 2019 by Living Rock. They are a Go Love Tell 2021 – 2025 partner and we are now providing monthly support to them. A.J. Neely is the pastor.
- Living Rock Severance – Severance, Colorado – Living Rock Severance was planted in January 2019 by Living Rock Timnath. They are a Go Love Tell 2021 – 2025 partner and we are now providing monthly support to them. Josh Green is the pastor.
- Mt Gilead Missionary Baptist Church – Coy, Alabama – Stanford Angion is the pastor.
- New City Church – Bath, Maine – Joel Littlefield is pastor - New City was planted in July 2017 and Dawson provided monthly support as part of the original Go Love Tell (but we are no longer providing monthly financial support) and we have provided other various financial support and mission teams and we have an ongoing relationship with them.
- CenterPoint Church – Gorham, Maine – Ben Thornton is pastor - CenterPoint was planted in 2015 and we provided monthly support to them from the beginning as part of the original Go Love Tell (but we are no longer providing monthly support) and we have had several mission teams serve there and we have an ongoing relationship with them.
- Grace Point Church – Biddeford, Maine – Andrew Ward is pastor - Grace Point was planted in 2011. As part of the original Go Love Tell, Dawson provided financial support for remodeling of the building they purchased, and we have provided help in several other ways and we have an ongoing relationship with them.
- Seven Mile Road Church – Kennebunk, Maine – Bryan Page is pastor - Seven Mile Road was planted in September 2017 and Dawson provided monthly support as part of the original Go Love Tell (but we are no longer providing monthly financial support) and we have an ongoing relationship with them.
- Neighbors Church – Westbrook, Maine – Eric Wood is pastor - Neighbors Church was planted in 2015 and Dawson provided significant financial support for their community ministries and we have had mission teams serve there and we have an ongoing relationship with them.