Planning a Baby Dedication at Dawson
“I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of Him. So now I give him to the Lord.” 1 Samuel 1:27-28a
As parents, we want the very best for our children. The most important thing in your child’s life is his or her relationship with Jesus Christ. The Dawson Family of Faith invites church members to make a commitment to model a lifestyle of Christian love and take an active role in their child’s spiritual development. The parents and the church make a covenant together to be God’s representative in the child’s life and this covenant is done in a Family Dedication Ceremony as a part of a Sunday morning worship service. Our DPM Staff guides families through the dedication process by encouraging parents to choose a life verse for each child and offering parenting resources as well as keepsakes from the dedication ceremony.
What does it mean to dedicate your child to God?
Parents acknowledge that children are a gift from the Lord (Psalm 127:3) and that God intends for parents to be the primary faith influencers in the lives of their children (Deuteronomy 6:4-9). In a Family Dedication ceremony, parents make a public commitment to their child, to one another, and to God that will model a personal relationship with Jesus and with God’s help and the support of a church family, will raise their child to know God, obey the Bible, and follow the example of Jesus Christ.
A baby dedication does not replace believer’s baptism. Dawson does not baptize children until they are old enough to articulate their understanding and belief. The Bible assures us that every baby is secure in the Grace of God. An age or time of personal accountability comes when the individual will decide whether or not to personally respond to the Grace of God offered in personal salvation.
What steps do parents take to prepare and plan for a Baby Dedication at Dawson?
Prepare Your Hearts
- Listen to “Look to the Future” podcast (link provided through email)
- Pray for your child
- Complete “Look to the Future” Parent Assignment (direction included in podcast, card provided)
- Choose a life verse for your child (additional info in podcast and below, keepsake card provided)
Partner with Other Believers
- Become a member of the Dawson Family of Faith through staff appointment and/or believer’s baptism (as needed)
- Attend a Parent Orientation (hosted by DPM’s Cradle Care Team)
- Invite family and friends to be a part of the dedication ceremony and celebration
- Get involved in small group Bible study with other believers for accountability
Schedule a Baby Dedication
- Choose a dedication date soon after your child’s birth (Although you can schedule your child’s dedication anytime in the first year of life, we recommend age 3-7 months.).
- Contact Hollie Pritchett (firstname.lastname@example.org, 205-871-7324)
- Possible Dates: Please note the 1st & 3rd Sundays of each month are reserved for Dedications. (Other block out dates do occur.)
- Worship Time: 8:25 a.m., 9:40 a.m. or 11:00 a.m.
- Preference of Minister: Pastor David, Andy Cartee, Brad Gowing, Bill Johnston, or John Woods
- Life Verse: To ensure the version you prefer, please type your your child’s Life Verse. (Limit to 1-2 verses.)
What is a Life Verse?
A life verse is a passage of Scripture that uniquely describes each individual child. Ideally, this is a Bible verse that you will pray over and pray for your child regularly throughout his childhood and adolescence as a way to mark their lives with God’s Truth. You may choose from any verse or passage of scripture in the Bible.
We are honored to partner with you as you prepare to dedicate your child to the Lord. Please contact the Dawson Preschool Ministry office if you have any additional questions or if we can pray for or assist your family in any way.