AfterThoughts: February 2, 2020
February 2, 2020
SERMON SERIES: The Gospel of Mark
SERMON TITLE: With A Little Help From My Friends (Mark 2:1-12)
This week, Pastor David continued The Gospel of Mark sermon series with a look at Jesus and a paralytic man.
- On the surface, the paralytic man’s greatest need seemed to be a physical one. How does Jesus’ action toward him show this was not true?
- Why was Jesus’ claim to forgive sins considered to be blasphemous?
- Who is someone in your sphere of influence that needs you to build a bed or remove a roof to get them to Jesus?
- How will you respond to that need?
And when he returned to Capernaum after some days, it was reported that he was at home. And many were gathered together, so that there was no room, not even at the door. And he was preaching the word to them. And they came, bringing to him a paralytic carried by four men. And when they could not get near him because of the crowd, they removed the roof above him, and when they had made an opening, they let down the bed on which the paralytic lay. And when Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, "Son, your sins are forgiven." Now some of the scribes were sitting there, questioning in their hearts. Why does this man speak like that? He is blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone? And immediately Jesus, perceiving in his spirit that they thus questioned within themselves, said to them, "Why do you question these things in your hearts? Which is easier, to say to the paralytic, 'Your sins are forgiven,' or to say, 'Rise, take up your bed and walk'? But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins" - he said to the paralytic - "I say to you, rise, pick up your bed, and go home." And he rose immediately picked up his bed and went out before them all, so that they were all amazed and glorified God, saying, "We never saw anything like this!" ~ Mark 2:1-12
- Who are my friends who need to be introduced to the only one that can forgive their sins?
- Am I praying for and actively seeking opportunities to introduce them to Jesus?
- Do I truly believe that Jesus can save them?