AfterThoughts: February 20, 2022
February 20, 2022
Sermon Title: The Fifth Commandment: Honor Your Father And Mother
Scripture: Exodus 20:12
This week, Pastor David continued the series from Exodus on The Ten Commandments with a look at the Fifth Commandment.
1. The Priority Of The Family In God's Design - Proverbs 6:20
2. The Honor Due To Parents By God's Design
3. The Promise To Children Who Obey God's Design - Ephesians 6:1–3
- In our culture, there are calls to show respect for one another and to be inclusive of one another. Yet, these calls come when worship and admiration of God has been abandoned. We want ethics for one another without adoration for God. How have you found this to be true?
- God’s design includes using imperfect parents raising imperfect children to honor and worship a perfect God. Think about a time when you were disciplined by your parents. What can you learn about God’s design for parents from that experience?
- Pastor David shared that, in Hebrew, the word “honor” can be translated “heavy” or “weighty.” While it looks different at different ages and seasons, honoring our parents means to respect, listen, and obey them. What effect does your obedience to your parents have on your understanding of God’s design for authority?
- The fifth commandment comes with a promise that the Apostle Paul echoed in Ephesians 6:1–3. This is not a promise of old age. It’s a promise that obedience to God will lead to a life that is pleasing to God. How are you encouraged by the promise given in this commandment? How have you experienced the fulfillment of God’s promise in your life?
"Youth today have luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority, no respect for older people, and talk nonsense when they should work. Young people do not stand up any longer when adults enter the room. They contradict their parents, talk too much in company...and tyrannize their elders."
"The first foundation of righteousness is the worship of God. When this is overthrown, all the remaining parts of righteousness, like the pieces of a shattered and fallen building, are mangled and scattered...Apart from the fear of God, men do not preserve equity and love among themselves."
~ John Calvin
May the Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace. ~ Numbers 6:24–26
STAY IN TOUCH WITH DAWSON:
TEXT: Text CONNECT to 205-997-3717