AfterThoughts: January 16, 2022
January 16, 2022
Sermon Title: The First Commandment: No Other Gods Before Me
Scripture: Exodus 20:1–17
This week, Pastor David continued the series on The Ten Commandments with a look at the first commandment. He shared:
- The Authority Of The Ten Commandments For Your Life
- The Purpose Of The Ten Commandments For Your Life
- The Foundation Of The Ten Commandments For Your Life
- Where do the Ten Commandments originate? Why is it significant that God alone determined the content of those commandments?
- Pastor David shared that the joy of life is found within the boundaries that God has designed for us. These boundaries give us freedom to flourish. How do you experience this truth in your life?
- The list of the Ten Commandments stands on the shoulder of the eight words in the first Commandment. God knows that we are tempted to exalt created things over the Creator. Where do you see idolatry in your own life? Who or what has your deepest love? Who or what has your deepest trust?
These words the LORD spoke to all your assembly at the mountain out of the midst of the fire, the cloud, and the thick darkness, with a loud voice; and He added no more. And He wrote them on two tablets of stone and gave them to me. ~ Deuteronomy 5:22
"This much is certain: those who know the 10 Commandments perfectly know the entire Scripture and in all affairs and circumstances are able to counsel, help, comfort, judge and make decisions in both spiritual and temporal matters." - Martin Luther
"What each one honors before all else, what before all things he admires and loves, this for him is God." -Origen
"Whatever your heart clings to and relies upon, that is properly thy God." - Martin Luther
May the Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace. ~ Numbers 6:24–26
STAY IN TOUCH WITH DAWSON:
TEXT: Text CONNECT to 205-997-3717