July 18, 2021
Sermon Title: Cultivated In His Character: Goodness
Scripture: Galatians 5:22–24
This week, Pastor David continued the sermon series, Cultivated In His Character, with a message from Galatians 5:22–24.
Specifically, he noted:
- God Is Good All The Time
- Jesus Is Good No Matter The Cost
- We Point People To Our Good God Through Our Good Deeds
- Pastor David encouraged us to bask in the truth that God is good all the time. The theme of God’s goodness runs throughout the Bible (for examples, see Psalm 34:8; Psalm 100:5; 106:1; and 119:68). While God is good all the time, our lives are not always good. What circumstances in your life cause you to doubt God’s goodness? How can you rediscover and rest in God’s goodness this week?
- Jesus defined goodness. He always chose the right path (obedience to God) no matter the cost. Jesus took the sacrificial way—He took the cross. What hard things are you choosing that give witness to the goodness and sacrifice of Jesus?
- Pastor David shared that one of the ways to define “good” in Matthew 5:16 is beautiful, not just morally right. The goodness of God is a beautiful testimony in a world that is broken and battered by sin and despair. What beautiful words can you speak this week? What good (beautiful) deed can you do to point your family member, friend, or co-worker to the goodness of God and to His glory?
- While our world often honors and celebrates darkness, Christians are called to shine brightly. Where can your obedience, integrity, and trustworthiness shine through in the coming weeks? What spiritual discipline can you practice this week that will help you stay connected to and walk deeply with the Light of the World, Jesus?
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. ~ Ephesians 3:20–21
STAY IN TOUCH WITH DAWSON:
TEXT: Text CONNECT to 205-997-3717