July 26, 2020
Sermon Title: Where Your Allegiances Lie
Scripture: Mark 12:13–17
This week, Pastor David shared about Jesus’ teaching on the allegiances we make in our lives and described:
- A Christian’s Earthly Allegiance
- A Christian’s Eternal Allegiance
- In Mark 12:17, the text says that they hearers “marveled at him” because of what Jesus said. How does Jesus order and prioritize our allegiances in this verse?
- Pastor David said that one of the best ways to get a better understanding of Mark 12:17 is to read what Paul wrote in Romans 13:1. How does reading these passages together give us a deeper understanding of what Jesus taught?
- By teaching His hearers to “render to Caesar what is Caesar’s,” Jesus calls us to support our government in the things that lead to the flourishing of all men and women. How do you live this out in your life?
- Jesus used a coin with the image of Caesar to demonstrate our earthly allegiance and contrasts that with the fact that all humans bear the image of God. What have you been trying to hold back from God? How will you surrender all of who you are to Him this week?
To learn more about what it means to surrender completely to the God who made you in His image, please visit https://www.dawsonchurch.org/becoming-a-christian.
Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore, whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer. Therefore, one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience. For because of this you also pay taxes, for the authorities are ministers of God, attending to this very thing. Pay to all what is owed to them: taxes to whom taxes are owed, revenue to whom revenue is owed, respect to whom respect is owed, honor to whom honor is owed.
~ Romans 13:1–7
First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way.
~ 1 Timothy 2:1–2
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.
~ Genesis 1:27
Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy, to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen.
~ Jude 24–25
STAY IN TOUCH WITH DAWSON:
COVID-19 Information: dawsonchurch.org/COVID19
TEXT: Text CONNECT to 205-997-3717