July 2, 2023
You Are What You Love
This week, Pastor David continued the series from 1 John with a look at the difference between love for the world and love for God. We saw that
- Love For The World Squeezes Out Love For God (vv. 15–16)
- Love For God Squeezes Out Love For The World (v. 17)
- If we are spiritually wearing the jersey of a follower of Jesus while simultaneously wearing the hat of the world, we are not truly loyal to either. In what ways do you find your loyalty divided between following the world and following God? Explain.
- Pastor David shared that the love of the world squeezes out the love of God. Which of the three temptations in verse 16 do you struggle with the most in your daily life: the desires of the flesh, the desires of the eyes, or the pride of life? How are you tempted to let the good gifts of God overflow the boundaries God has given us?
- Jesus' temptation in Luke 4 is an "undoing" of original sin. How are you encouraged by the truth that the power of Jesus lives in you and gives you the power to overcome temptation in your own life? How have you found that the world always over promises and under returns?
- Pastor David shared that love for God is what squeezes out love for the world (v. 17). Our path to resting our hearts in God is: to know Him more, to love Him more, and to let obedience and allegiance follow. This week, what is something you will do to strengthen your eternal investment and weaken your connection to the world?
The grace of the LORD Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. ~ 2 Corinthians 13:14
STAY IN TOUCH WITH DAWSON:
TEXT: Text CONNECT to 205-997-3717