June 25, 2023
Accepting What You Don't Deserve
This week, Pastor David continued the series from 1 John with a look at the gift we receive as believers and followers of Jesus that we do not deserve.
- The Source Of Our Defense (v. 1)
- The Nature Of Our Defense (v. 2)
- The Extent Of Our Defense (v. 2)
- The Proof Of Our Defense (vv. 3–6)
- In modern court cases, you normally see a judge, a prosecutor, an accused person, and a defense attorney. This passage from 1 John 2:1–6 tells us that we have a perfect defense attorney—a perfect advocate who pleads our case. How does this truth encourage you?
- Even as we pursue lives of holiness, as believers and followers of Jesus, we still sin. Pastor David shared that the merit of our defense is Jesus’ righteousness. Jesus’ life and death paid the price for our sins—he paid it all. When are you tempted to think that you have to earn God’s forgiveness? In what ways can you lean into the truth that Jesus’ sacrifice alone paid the price for your sins?
- Pastor David shared that while Jesus’ death is sufficient for all, it is only effective for the some who trust in Him. Jesus’ sacrifice was for all, but not all will believe. Who do you need to share the story of Jesus’ love with this week?
- We are all called to walk like Jesus. A walk that is characterized by love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, and self-control. A walk that is characterized by loving one’s neighbor and loving our Lord. Can people see the distinctiveness of your walk? Can people see that you walk like your Savior, Jesus?
The grace of the LORD Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. ~ 2 Corinthians 13:14
STAY IN TOUCH WITH DAWSON:
TEXT: Text CONNECT to 205-997-3717