November 29, 2020
Sermon Title: Away In A Manger: Joseph
Scripture: Matthew 1:18–25
This week, Pastor David began the Advent Sermon series, “Away In A Manger” by highlighting Joseph and two truths we learn from his actions:
- Kindness Matters Even When Life Doesn’t Go As Planned
- Obedience Isn’t Optional Even When Life Doesn’t Go As Planned
- Joseph’s decision to divorce Mary quietly shows us the power of kindness. Describe the choice Joseph had to make in this situation and how kindness made a difference?
- Joseph’s life illustrates the very distinctives of a life filled with the Spirit of God. He displays gentleness instead of bitterness, self-control instead of outrage; and goodness instead of spite. In what relationship do you need to follow Joseph’s example?
- Pastor David pointed out that we don’t hear Joseph talking in Matthew, chapters 1 or 2. Joseph seemed to utterly trust the plan of the Lord even when he had absolutely no say in it. What does Joseph’s silence indicate about his attitude and character?
- In spite of his doubts, Matthew 1:24 tells us that Joseph “did as the Lord commanded him.” What would unconditional obedience to God look like in your life this week? This month? This year? What keeps you from that kind of obedience?
You are invited to “prepare Him room” by waiting in hope, peace, joy and love with our 2020 Advent Devotional. Printed copies are available at the Church Office. To access a digital copy, please visit dawsonchurch.org/adventguide.
The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone. ~ Psalm 118:22
Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy—to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen. ~ Jude 24–25
STAY IN TOUCH WITH DAWSON:
TEXT: Text CONNECT to 205-997-3717