AfterThoughts: November 8, 2020
November 8, 2020
Sermon Title: After The Polls Close
Scripture: 1 Timothy 2:1–4
This week, Pastor David shared a message from 1 Timothy about our responsibility as Christians to pray for our leaders. He suggested five ways we can pray for our President, Vice President, Projected President-elect, Projected Vice President-elect, as well as other leaders in all levels of government:
- Pray for Wisdom and Understanding
- Pray for a Heart of Service
- Pray for Protection
- Pray for Courage
- Pray for Christian Growth
1. Think about the uncertainty and anxiety you have felt during this year and this week. Pastor David shared Scripture that reminds us what is not contested in this week full of uncertainty. Which of these biblical truths (listed in Additional Discovery) encourages you?
2. Our hope cannot be taken from us, no matter the outcome of the election, because our hope as Christians resides in the One who can never be dethroned or rooted out. How can you allow this truth to calm your heart and spirit?
3. According to 1 Timothy 2:1–4, what is a Christian’s responsibility to our leaders? What keeps you from fulfilling that responsibility?
4. Pastor David shared that it is easy for us to confuse the kingdom of God with the kingdom of this world. Consequently, we must pray for God’s perspective—to see the difference between what is of temporal value and what is of eternal value. How will you guard against placing too much faith in our governmental leaders and not enough faith in our Eternal King?
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. ~ Psalm 46:1
At the end of the days I, Nebuchadnezzar, lifted my eyes to heaven, and my reason returned to me, and I blessed the Most High, and praised and honored Him who lives forever, for His dominion is an everlasting dominion, and His kingdom endures from generation to generation.
~ Daniel 4:34
Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. ~ Matthew 10:29–30
And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. ~ Matthew 16:18
For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. ~ Romans 8:38–39
For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
As for man, his days are like grass; he flourishes like a flower of the field.
~ Psalm 103:15
The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever. ~ Isaiah 40:8
On His robe and on His thigh He has a name written, King of kings and Lord of lords. ~ Revelation 19:16
And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.” ~ Acts 4:12
Then the seventh angel blew his trumpet, and there were loud voices in heaven, saying, “The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever.”
~ Revelation 11:15
Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy—to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.
~ Jude 24–25
STAY IN TOUCH WITH DAWSON:
TEXT: Text CONNECT to 205-997-3717