AfterThoughts: September 12, 2021
September 12, 2021
Sermon Title: A Life Worthy Of The Gospel
Scripture: Philippians 1:27–30
This week, Pastor David continued the sermon series from the book of Philippians by looking at Paul’s exhortation to Christians to stand firm in our faith, no matter what.
- Stand Firm In God’s Truth; Don’t Shrink Back In Fear
- Stand Firm In God’s Truth; Don’t Shrink Back Even In The Face of Suffering
- Pastor David shared that hardship and tragedy often serve as a catalyst to rally people together. When have you found this to be true in your life, in your family, or in your community?
- In Philippians 1:27, Paul wrote his thesis statement for his letter to the church at Philippi (“…only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ”). Paul then called on the believers and followers of Jesus to “stand” and to “strive.” What are the areas of your life where you are being called to stand firm in the face of opposition? Who are the people with whom you strive side by side for the faith of the gospel?
- Pastor David said, “What the world needs desperately is clarity that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, this sin is an affront to a holy God and separates us from him, but praise God we have a Savior who has paid our debt, a debt that we could not pay with his perfect life, so that we as sinners can be in a relationship with a holy God.” Is there someone in your sphere of influence that needs to hear that truth? Will you share it with them this week?
- Persecution and opposition come in varying degrees. Pastor David challenged us to examine ourselves and ask: "Am I not feeling opposition to my faith because I am not standing firm in my faith?" How would you answer? Will you commit to pray for the 1 in 9 Christians around the world who face persecution daily?
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
~ Ephesians 3:20–21
STAY IN TOUCH WITH DAWSON:
TEXT: Text CONNECT to 205-997-3717