AfterThoughts: September 13, 2020
September 13, 2020
Sermon Title: When Our Better Way Leads To A Dead End
Scripture: Mark 14:53–54; 66–72
This week, Pastor David shared a picture of how Peter’s better way led to spiritual dead ends. How do we know when we are choosing our own better way?
- We choose our better way when we say to Jesus, “I know more than You know.”
- We choose our better way when our intimacy with the Father grows cold.
1. Have you ever found yourself, like Peter, confessing a Jesus that fits your purposes and understanding? Explain.
2. Signs of Christian maturity are a healthy understanding of our tendency to wander down the wrong path and an acknowledgement of our need for a God-centered humility. When has your pride led you to a spiritual dead end?
3. Pastor David shared that pride always leads us to prayerlessness, and prayerlessness leads us to follow Jesus from a further and further distance. What keeps you from maintaining a close, intimate relationship with Jesus? How can you move closer to Him this week?
4. Thankfully, Peter’s denial of Jesus is not the last stop on his journey. How does knowing that encourage you today?
And he said this plainly. And Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. But turning and seeing his disciples, he rebuked Peter and said, “Get behind me, Satan! For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man.” ~ Mark 8:32–33
Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.
~ Proverbs 16:18
Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy—to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.
~ Jude 24–25
STAY IN TOUCH WITH DAWSON:
TEXT: Text CONNECT to 205-997-3717