AfterThoughts: September 5, 2021
September 5, 2021
Sermon Title: To Live Is Christ, To Die Is Gain
Scripture: Philippians 1:19–26
This week, Pastor David continued the sermon series from the book of Philippians by looking at Paul’s writing about death. He shared that:
1. Death Is Gain When To Live Is Christ
2. Death Is Gain When You Are Sure Of Your Destination
- More than likely, Paul wrote Philippians from a Roman prison. How can he say that, whether he lives under house arrest or dies in chains, he will be delivered?
- Paul’s identity was firmly found in Christ; his belief and trust in Jesus defined his life in every way. What is defining your life right now? Does your deepest allegiance lie in your obedience to Jesus? Explain.
- In John 14:1–6, Jesus encouraged His followers as He faced His own death. How does trusting that Jesus is “the way, and the truth, and the life” encourage you to live out your calling as a believer in your work, your family life, and your friendships?
- When you are in Christ, the “how” of your death is uncertain but the “where” after your death is completely certain. How are you encouraged by knowing that God is preparing an eternal home for all those who accept His gift of salvation? Take some time today to thank God that because of Jesus’ sacrifice for us on the cross, death is a defeated enemy.
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
~ Ephesians 3:20–21
STAY IN TOUCH WITH DAWSON:
TEXT: Text CONNECT to 205-997-3717