Chicken & Brown Rice Bowl
- 1/2 cup (95 grams) uncooked brown rice (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 24 ounces (680 grams) uncooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Dash salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 teaspoons + 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1 medium lemon)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup (75 grams) chopped celery (about 2 stalks)
- 1/2 cup (70 grams) diced onion (about ½ small onion)
- 1 1/2 cups (195 grams) frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1/4 cup (10 grams) chopped basil
Cook brown rice according to package directions.
To grill chicken, preheat grill to high. Place chicken breasts between two pieces of wax paper and, using a meat mallet, pound to 1/2-inch thickness. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper, and lightly rub with 2 teaspoons olive oil. To prevent sticking, lightly oil the grill grate before adding chicken. Cook chicken until firm to the touch, about 2-3 minutes per side. (Alternatively, you may bake or cook chicken in a skillet on the stovetop until firm and opaque throughout.)
In a large bowl, whisk together remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, honey, lemon juice and Dijon mustard. Add celery, onion, peas and carrots, and brown rice; toss to coat. Divide rice mixture into 4 servings (about 3/4 cups rice mixture or 137 grams each). Top each with about 4 ounces grilled chicken. Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.